Billing Terms

Downloadable explanation of CBWW’s water bill (PDF 763kb)

The net total is due within twenty (20) days of the bill date located on the right hand side of the bill.

The bill is delinquent and gross total is due after the date shown in the section “Bill is Delinquent” and before the shut off notice is mailed.

Thirty-five (35) days after the bill date a shut off notice is mailed. The gross amount plus a five ($5.00) dollar fee is due before the shut off date shown on the notice.

A $20.00 Collection fee will be added to your account if not paid before the shut off date.

If we shut off the water service it will not be restored until the gross amount total of the water bill, the shut off notice fee of five ($5.00) dollars, the shut off fee of thirty ($30.00) dollars, and the turn on fee of thirty ($30.00) dollars, any other fees charged to the account are paid.

The majority of our customers pay their bill promptly. The service charges and fees shown above reflect the cost of special handling required for those bills not promptly paid. If you should ever need to arrange for special payment for your bill please call our Customer Service at 712-328-1006.

The Council Bluffs Water Works provides water to the City of Crescent. Customers requiring service in this city should call 712-545-3981.

The Council Bluffs Water Works provides water to Regional Water. Customers requiring service in this area should call 712-343-2413.


  • Enclose postage, if receipt is desired by mail.
  • Protect you meter from frost and hot water damage; a charge will be made against your service for the actual cost of such repairs. If your meter should freeze, notify office at once. Do not attempt to thaw out your meter. You may completely ruin it and cause yourself the additional expense of a new meter.
  • Protect your property from damage by water. Keep the shut-offs at the head of the meter and that the curb accessible and in condition to be used in case of breakage water pipes.
  • Attend to your plumbing, as leaks will increase your water bill. We do no plumbing. In case of leaks on your service line or plumbing fixture, call a plumber at once. In case of leaks in the meter, call the Water Works at once.
  • Service charges will be added to accounts in accordance to rules and policies set forth by the Water Works Board of Trustees.

General FAQ

1. Do you have a program where my payment can be deducted from my bank account each month?

Yes we do! It’s called Automatic Bank Payment.

2. My water bill has been significantly higher the last couple months. Could this indicate I have a leak somewhere?

Yes, a noticeable increase in water consumption could be an indication of a leak in your home. One of the most common culprits is the toilet. Even though a toilet isn’t running, it can still be leaking water. If you suspected a problem, put a few drops of food coloring in the tank and let it sit for several hours. If the dye has colored the water in the bowl, there is a leak. Also, look inside the tank for water going into the overflow pipe. If a problem is identified, contact a plumber to make repairs.

You may also want to check for dripping faucets. It is amazing how many gallons of water are wasted in this way. A simple washer replacement is often an easy, inexpensive repair that can eliminate drips in faucets.

Another way to check for evidence of leaks is to read your water meter before retiring for the night. Check it again first thing in the morning. If the reading has increased and no water was used during the night, you may have a leak. Remember to account for ice makers, humidifiers, or other appliances that operate during the night hours.

Lastly, never underestimate the amount of water that is consumed for normal, everyday tasks around the home. Here are some average water consumption amounts for routine household tasks:

Shower 25-50 gallons (5-10 gallons/minute)
Bath 36 gallons (full tub)
Toilet flush 5-7 gallons (less with new low-flow toilets!)
Brushing teeth 2 gallons (tap running)
Hand washing 2 gallons (tap running)
Shaving 3-5 gallons (tap running)
Dish washing 20 gallons (tap running)
Automatic dishwashing 12 gallons (tap running)
Clothes washer 30-60 gallons (full cycle)
Outdoor watering 5-10 gallons per minute

3. What do I do if something is wrong with my water meter?

If your water meter does not seem to be operating properly, or if it is leaking, call Council Bluffs Water Works at 712-328-1006 to report the problem. We will ask you several questions to determine if a service call is needed. If so, we will be happy to set up a mutually convenient time for us to check the meter and solve the problem.

4. My friends in other parts of town see a meter reader take a reading each month, but I never notice anyone in my neighborhood. Why?

In some parts of Council Bluffs, there are automatic meter reading system installed that do not require a meter reader to come to your home. This system uses a radio signal to provide us with your water meter reading. This information is then used to generate your water bill. During the next few years, Council Bluffs Water Works plans to convert more accounts to a radio frequency meter reading system. We will notify you by mail when we plan to be in your neighborhood to do this conversion.

5. I’m moving next month. How much notice do you need to turn off my water service?

Please call our offices at 712-328-1006 one business day prior to your move to arrange a final water bill at your current address. If you are moving to another address in our service area, please make arrangement for your new address one working day prior to the day you will need water service. In most cases, you do not need to visit our office to transfer water services.

6. If I see water in the street, whom should I call?

Please call our offices at 712 328-1006 and report it. Our Water Distribution team can determine the cause and arrange for any necessary repairs. With early detection, a repair can be made more quickly.