Water Willy Logo
CBWW Board of Trustees logo

Council Bluffs Water Works


Monday, August 2, 2021 7:45 PM

1. Do you have a program where my payment can be deducted from my bank account each month?

Yes we do! It’s called Automatic Bank Payment.

2. My water bill has been significantly higher the last couple months. Could this indicate I have a leak somewhere?

Yes, a noticeable increase in water consumption could be an indication of a leak in your home. One of the most common culprits is the toilet. Even though a toilet isn’t running, it can still be leaking water. If you suspected a problem, put a few drops of food coloring in the tank and let it sit for several hours. If the dye has colored the water in the bowl, there is a leak. Also, look inside the tank for water going into the overflow pipe. If a problem is identified, contact a plumber to make repairs.

You may also want to check for dripping faucets. It is amazing how many gallons of water are wasted in this way. A simple washer replacement is often an easy, inexpensive repair that can eliminate drips in faucets.

Another way to check for evidence of leaks is to read your water meter before retiring for the night. Check it again first thing in the morning. If the reading has increased and no water was used during the night, you may have a leak. Remember to account for ice makers, humidifiers, or other appliances that operate during the night hours.

Lastly, never underestimate the amount of water that is consumed for normal, everyday tasks around the home. Here are some average water consumption amounts for routine household tasks:

Shower 25-50 gallons (5-10 gallons/minute)
Bath 36 gallons (full tub)
Toilet flush 5-7 gallons (less with new low-flow toilets!)
Brushing teeth 2 gallons (tap running)
Hand washing 2 gallons (tap running)
Shaving 3-5 gallons (tap running)
Dish washing 20 gallons (tap running)
Automatic dishwashing 12 gallons (tap running)
Clothes washer 30-60 gallons (full cycle)
Outdoor watering 5-10 gallons per minute


3. What do I do if something is wrong with my water meter?

If your water meter does not seem to be operating properly, or if it is leaking, call Council Bluffs Water Works at 712-328-1006 to report the problem. We will ask you several questions to determine if a service call is needed. If so, we will be happy to set up a mutually convenient time for us to check the meter and solve the problem.

4. My friends in other parts of town see a meter reader take a reading each month, but I never notice anyone in my neighborhood. Why?

In some parts of Council Bluffs, there are automatic meter reading system installed that do not require a meter reader to come to your home each month. This system uses a radio signal to provide us with your water meter reading. This information is then used to generate your water bill. During the next few years, Council Bluffs Water Works plans to convert more accounts to a radio frequency meter reading system. We will notify you by mail when we plan to be in your neighborhood to do this conversion.

5. I’m moving next month. How much notice do you need to turn off my water service?

Please call our offices at 712-328-1006 one working day prior to your move to arrange a final water bill at your current address. If you are moving to another address in our service area, please make arrangement for your new address one working day prior to the day you will need water service. In most cases, you do not need to visit our office to transfer water services.

6. If I see water in the street, whom should I call?

Please call our offices at 712 328-1006 and report it. Our Water Distribution team can determine the cause and arrange for any necessary repairs. With early detection, a repair can be made more quickly.